the.gipster: kaladkarin
 

Monday, June 2, 2008

Credit Me Not

A couple of weeks back, I received an invitation from one of the senior managers in THE FIRM (that I was closely working with) to help out and contribute in putting together a presentation that will be used for a client buy-off (the actual deal closing).

And my participation in this effort -- to take pictures about the life in and around THE FIRM to support the around the clock work and customer support THE FIRM can offer.

A few shots after, I was able to produce around 100+ photos for them to use. And the following day, I saw a draft of the video presentation that they have put together. To my surprise, I saw a lot of my pictures were used. I couldn't have been happier having a lot of my work chosen.

Just like any video presentation, the credits rolled at the end. Good thing though it didn't flew and roll as if people watching the video can read 100 words per minute (just like some silly videos I've seen in the past). The credits came and gone without a mention of all the contributors in the presentation including me. I thought it was ok, so I just shrugged off the recognition due to us.

Fast forward a couple of weeks after, a colleague of mine was raving on the fact that one of my teammate's pictures was on a "notebook" that THE FIRM was giving away as freebies to potential applicants.

Apparently she has a copy of that notebook. While we were all browsing and looking at the pictures in the notebook, I saw some of my pictures in it:

I didn't have one picture published..

DSC00057 copy
Evidence #1

DSC_3387
Original Picture #1

Nor did I have two..

DSC00059 copy
Evidence #2

DSC_3078
Original Picture #2

But I have three pictures in the notebook..

DSC00060 copy
Evidence #3

DSC_3173
Original Picture #3

PUBLISHED WITHOUT ANY CREDIT.

I'm a little confused on the fact that THE FIRM preaches and stands by one of it's principles of "Respect for the Individual". And yet, the haven't demonstrated it in anyway through this uncredited publication. I don't see any respect from this. I don't think my rights as a photographer/contributor were upheld by not crediting my contribution.

I don't claim my pictures are of really high quality. Though that is the case, I don't think nothing's wrong asking recognition for this. I am not asking for a big recognition nor am I asking for additional remuneration. All I wanted is a single line at back stating my contribution. I don't think it's hard to acknowledge people who have helped out (in a way) in this endeavor.

If I would get a bump on my monthly salary, then I think I would shut up. But since that is unlikely to happen, I DEMAND being credited for this.

Labels: , ,

 

June 3, 2008 at 11:53 PM

Blogger Tenten said...

Giffy! Kailangan mong kausapin ang the firm about NOT putting your name on the pics. Bad kaya yun! Integrity and Respect for the Individual yun noh. Let me know kung gusto mong tulungan kita!

 

June 4, 2008 at 6:38 AM

Blogger gipster said...

hey tenten.. thanks.. =) well yeah, i really felt bad about not being credited, nakwento ko na din sa iba. Sabi din ni Mars eh habulin ko sila for that. I have already filed a complaint, I'm just waiting for their response.

nakakabadtrip! imbes na i would feel proud. oh well.. thanks for the concern.. =)

 

June 5, 2008 at 6:34 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Other companies would outsource and pay photographers for "official" company stock photos. I think they took advantage of you, your capability, and your equipment. Next time, ikaw na rin ang unang pupuntahan ng mga yan for quick photography. Then you can make it clear beforehand that you would like to get credit or even paid. You ought to get credited/paid pag ginamit na sa ibang paraan. What if next time you see your photos on a billboard. Nagask naman lang sila ng permission. Grr. It's a big company, they know these things.

 

June 10, 2008 at 6:43 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

stewardship, integrity, respect of the individual my ass! at sa applicants and new joiners pa talaga pinamimigay! grrrr!!! panalo talaga ang THE FIRM!

 

June 30, 2008 at 1:51 AM

Blogger gipster said...

@jedd -- i know. that's why I have decided limit the work i share for the firm's endeavors. i don't wanna be taken advantage of again

 

June 30, 2008 at 1:52 AM

Blogger gipster said...

@anon -- relax.. ikaw naman. relax ka lang. parang mas galit ka pa sa akin. hehe..

 

September 25, 2008 at 2:11 AM

Blogger davisgrana said...

Giff!! Galeng ah!! Bilib naman talaga ako sayo. Kaw pala kumuha ng mga pics na yan?! Good job! Nun nakita ko nga yung notebook, sabi ko, galing ng kumuha ng mga photos. Tapos ikaw pala yun!? hahaha! On second thought... they weren't really that "great"... hahaha jok jok! Good job! Take more photos and post! You'll soon earn the recognition you are looking for. Parang YouTube artists yan... sisikat ka din. Galengers!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home