the.gipster: kaladkarin
 

Monday, January 7, 2008

MY New Year always begins with..

A family reunion.

Since time immemorial, relatives from my father side has religiously organized and attended our family reunion every January 1st. Before, it was just held at one place. As the years went by, they (my father and his siblings) decided to hold the reunion in different places thus changing the "sponsor" or the "host" for the year.

Though we get to meet every year, I still find myself lost and always in a lock down situation trying to spit out a name of a cousin or of a cousin's child which I don't really have any idea of. It's as if my cousins and my um.. cousin's children kept on multiplying.. like rats rabbits.

Our family reunion is not the only one that became the tradition. But also, some of the activities that my aunts and uncles has thought of since I was a kid -- hampas palayok and padukot sa bangga. 

DSC_7434

As a kid, I used to love trying my luck (yes, I consider it a game of luck) in the game of Hampas Palayok. But since I never got lucky, I stopped trying. And as the years went by, I became all but a spectator of my cousins, cousins' children and even my aunts and uncles reap the bounty of their winnings..

DSC_7433DSC_7457

Towards the end of the reunion, my dad would bring out his famous "banga" and ask all the kids and kids at heart to line up before him to go get as much money (coins) they could from the jar.

DSC_7534

Well yeah, the jar only contains coins. Before, coins were a big thing. But since they have depreciated in value, my parents got a little creative with those coins -- they marked several coins inside the jar to a certain amount where the lucky kid or kidult can exchange for a bigger, heavier denomination.

DSC_7501DSC_7527

 

*****

 

DSC_7749
With the family's therapist to be

DSC_7760
With my favorite cousin

Labels:

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home